Winter was tough on our workouts. With the frosty weather and chilling temperatures, the thought of lacing up our running shoes and getting in a quick cardio-increasing run couldn’t have been further from our minds. But we’ve got a solution. If you’re looking to strengthen your stamina without leaving your home, Gentleman’s Journal fitness expert James Stirling, AKA Instagram’s @london_fitness_guy, is on hand to help.
“If you’re tired of your cardio workouts before you even get started,” says Stirling, “it might be time to add some variety to your exercises! And there are many other ways to lift your heart rate.”
“The beauty of these workouts,” he adds, “is that they often require no equipment. So, rather than heading out for a run, give this eight-exercise circuit a try. The focus here is on working at high intensity for 30-40 seconds, and then resting for 20-30 seconds between each exercise. Once you finish the circuit, enjoy a minute’s rest — and then start again…”
Exercise #1: 20 seconds Squat Jumps / 20 seconds Plyometric Lunge
For this one, focus on a powerful jump and a soft landing. Once you’ve completed 20 seconds of the squat jumps, switch to the plyometric lunges. If you want a lower impact option, you can try a normal reverse lunge without a jump.
For the squat jumps:
- Start in a squat position
- Lower yourself to 90 degrees
- Explosively jump upwards
For the plyometric lunges:
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart
- Lower your body until your forward thigh is parallel to the ground
- Your back knee should almost be touching the ground
- Explode back up, as high as you can
Exercise #2: Half Burpee
This is a lower impact version of the chest to floor burpee. See how many you can do in 30-40 seconds.
- Starting with your feet shoulder width apart
- Lower yourself into the plank position
- Quickly jump up to return to standing
- Repeat at speed!
Exercise #3: Skaters
Imagine an ice skater — this exercise should look similar to that. Try to maintain a steady pace and your balance — because it’s a good test of your stability, too!
- Start by crouching on your left leg
- Hop from your planted foot with a lunge
- Repeat, jumping side-to-side
Exercise #4: Toe Taps
Remember to keep your core tight with this one. Repeat for 30-40 seconds.
- Start in a crab position; hands and feet flat to the mat
- Lift your left leg upwards
- Raise your right hand and stretch out towards your toe
- Lower and repeat with your left hand to right toe
Exercise #5: 20 seconds Prisoner Sprint / 20 seconds Mountain Climber
Begin by performing an on-the-spot sprint for 20 seconds, with your hands on your head — it’ll be a testing 20 seconds. Then go straight into these mountain climbers:
- Start in a high plank position
- Drive your knees, one after the other, towards your chest
Exercise #6: Broad Jump
Starting at the edge of your mat, take a big jump forwards. Keep your landing soft and then shuffle back to your start position. Repeat for 30-40 seconds.
Exercise #7: Explosive Jacks
This is your typical star jump, but made explosive! See how many you can complete in 30-40 seconds.
- Lower your hands to feet
- Throw your hands above your head as you jump into a star position
- As you raise your arms up, move your legs outwards
Exercise #8: Lateral Hops
In simple terms, this is just a sideways hop. But make sure you drive power through your arms while jumping side-to-side on your mat — as this will help you complete as many hops as possible in 30-40 seconds.
Need an extra push? Try out London Fitness Guy’s new ‘ON DEMAND programme’ — 3 brand new workouts in ‘real-time’ hosted on the LFG app. Click here to start your journey.
Become a Gentleman’s Journal member. Find out more here.