We’re calling it here: it is officially time to stop your efforts of resistance and start preparing for Christmas. The season of festive cheer is well and truly upon us — bringing with it endless excuses to get well oiled before midday (and experiment with the Akvavit sitting at the back of your dusty drinks cabinet).
If you’re looking for a little seasonal inspiration, we’ve done the hard work of sourcing the festive favourites sure to impress even your Scroogiest guests. Whether you prefer your tipple gin-based or flambéd; fruity or fragrant — read on for our curation of the best.
For a coffee kick: The Grey Goose Exotic Café
You’ll need all the energy you can muster to get through this festive season — and what tastier way to deliver that jolt of caffeine than in a wintry spin on the classic Espresso Martini?
40 ml Grey Goose vodka
60 ml fresh Aero-press espresso
20 ml Cardamom-Cinnamon syrup (per 500 ml : 2 tablespoons ground cardamom, 1 cinnamon stick, 500 ml boiling water, 500 grams sugar)
1. Combine vodka, espresso and syrup
2. Top with frothed oat-milk in a cappuccino mug
3. Garnish with cinnamon dust
For orange flavours: The Adru Martini
Created by Tom Jolly of The American Bar, Gleneagles Hotel, this cocktail blends orange bitters and vanilla pods to complement the coastal flavours of the Isle of Harris Gin, creating a Christmassy concoction too delicious to resist.
50ml Isle of Harris Gin
25ml Lillet Blanc
1.5ml Sugar Syrup
2 dashes of Orange Bitters
1 dash of Vanilla Saline
1. Make the vanilla saline by adding 40g of sea salt to 100ml of water and 3 split vanilla pods, then leave to infuse for 24 hours
2. Add all the ingredients, except for the lemon, to a chilled mixing glass
3. Add a large block of ice and stir until the liquid is chilled and suitably diluted
4. Strain into a frozen coupe glass
5. Squeeze oils from lemon over the drink and rub the stem with remaining peel
6. Drop peel into drink as a garnish
For something warming: Patrón's Touchdown Toddy
Whether you’ve been out for a wintry walk or you’re settling in to watch a classic Christmas film, there are few better warming options than a hot toddy. This version, from Patrón, puts a slightly spicy twist on the traditional.
2 oz Patrón Añejo
3 oz Hot water
1.5 oz Lemon juice
1 oz Honey
1 Pinch of ground cinnamon
3 drops Vanilla extract
1. In the bottom of a sturdy mug, combine a pinch of ground cinnamon, honey and hot water and stir to combine.
2. Add Patrón Añejo, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
3. Stir to combine all ingredients.
For sheer sweetness: Grey Goose's Candy Cane Lane
This festive take on the classic espresso martini blends Grey Goose vodka with coffee and sweet peppermint syrup for a fun and seasonal spin on the sophisticated sip. Easy to create and utterly delicious, is the ideal cocktail to shake up for each of the many smaller Christmas gatherings you’ll be having this year.
50ml Grey Goose vodka
30ml Fresh espresso
20ml Candy cane/peppermint syrup
Crushed candy canes
1. Crush candy canes onto a small plate.
2. Wet the rim of your glass and gently dip the rim onto the plate, ensuring it gets a nice coating.
3. Fill a cocktail shaker with a 50ml (double shot) measure of Grey Goose vodka, espresso, and candy cane syrup.
4. Shake and strain the liquid into your glass.
For a brandy option: Metaxa Hot Sun Mug
Why not mix up your usual warm seasonal drinks with a Metaxa Hot Sun Mug – the perfect warming cocktail for those cold winter nights. Packaged up in a tin mug or copper mule, this winter warmer features Metaxa 12 Stars, hot apple juice garnished with a cinnamon stick and a slice of apple. This delicious twist on the usual mulled wine brings with it hints of dried fruits and spices, making it the perfect warm treat for the Christmas season.
40ml Metaxa 12 Stars
Hot Apple Juice
Cinnamon stick and a slice of apple (to garnish)
1. Lightly heat natural apple juice and pour it in your favourite mug
2. Fill 2/3 high
3. Add 4cl of Metaxa 5 Stars
4. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a slice of apple
For a fruity cocktail: The Botanist Bramble
A renowned festive tipple, The Botanist Bramble, complete with The Botanist Gin, lemon and honey water, drizzled with Aelder Elixir and garnished with bramble and rosemary, is the perfect cocktail for a cosy winter night and a guaranteed favourite at any festive party.
50ml Botanist gin
150ml lemon and honey water
Drizzle Aelder Elixir
Bramble and rosemary to garnish
1. Keeping the bramble syrup back, shake the other ingredients with ice
2. Pour into a rocks glass over crushed ice
3. Drizzle the bramble syrup over the top
4. Garnish with freshly picked berries and a young bramble leaf
For a twist on the Martini: St Andrew's Day Martini
Designed by Walter Pintus, the master mixologist who has helmed bars at The Ritz, The Connaught and The Conduit, this luxurious take on the traditional gin martini blends Caorunn Scottish gin with whisky, Italicus bergamot liqueur and pink grapefruit for a strong serve that is pure elegance.
20ml Caorunn Gin
5ml Old Pulteney 12 Year Old
30ml Vermouth Dry
Pink Grapefruit Oils
1. Put a single ice chunk in a cocktail coupette
2. Pour all ingredients into the glass and stir.
3. Garnish with a grapefruit coin.