We’ll be honest; this isn’t Hugh Jackman’s recipe. It is, however, his mother’s.
Grace McNeil, the woman we can thank for both this extraordinary dessert and the onetime Gentleman’s Journal cover star, whips this creme caramel up every time her ‘Hughby’ comes to visit. Because, as she so sweetly puts it, “cooking is an act of love”.
- 6 eggs
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1/2 pint cream
- 3 level tablespoons vanilla sugar
For the caramel:
- 6 tablespoons each of sugar and water
- Make caramel by heating sugar and water in a small pan until it caramelises.
- Pour into dish and quickly swirl it round the bottom and sides.
- Beat eggs and sugar together.
- Stir in heated milk and cream and pour into dish.
- Stand the dish in a roasting tin with cold water.
- Bake at 160 degrees Celsius until the custard is set – at least an hour.
- Chill in fridge.
- Run a knife round the inside edge and turn out into a serving dish.