If you’ve got a basement going begging, or a cellar going spare, there’s really only one logical thing to do — fill it full of the finest wines you can find. Having your own wine cellar is a sign that you’ve made it; an ambition harboured by connoisseurs and casual drinkers alike. But, even if you’re lucky enough to have the disposable income to start a collection of your own, it’s likely you’re still uncertain what bottles to buy.
So, while it may be tempting to go for volume — and kick off your collection with countless floor-filling cases of vino, it’ll pay in the long run to focus and invest more wisely. We asked Jan Konetzki, Head Sommelier of members club 10 Trinity Square and former Sommelier of the Year, for the best bottles to build a collection on.
For a sparkling start: Champagne Jacquesson 739
To unlock this article, please subscribe. Benefits include:
- 15% off selected brands online with the Gentleman's Journal Shop
- Direct offers and benefits with luxury restaurants, clubs, gyms, hotels and handpicked brands
- 2 Bookazines delivered to your door
- Paywalled content — access to exclusive online features only for members
- Invitations to member-only events each year
- Your own Clubhouse membership card to redeem all the perks