If you’ve got a basement going begging, or a cellar going spare, there’s really only one logical thing to do — fill it full of the finest wines you can find. Having your own wine cellar is a sign that you’ve made it; an ambition harboured by connoisseurs and casual drinkers alike. But, even if you’re lucky enough to have the disposable income to start a collection of your own, it’s likely you’re still uncertain what bottles to buy.
So, while it may be tempting to go for volume — and kick off your collection with countless floor-filling cases of vino, it’ll pay in the long run to focus and invest more wisely. We asked Jan Konetzki, Head Sommelier of members club 10 Trinity Square and former Sommelier of the Year, for the best bottles to build a collection on.
For a sparkling start: Champagne Jacquesson 739
To unlock this article, please subscribe. Benefits include:
- 2 Magazine & 2 Premium Newsprint delivered to your door
- Direct offers and benefits with luxury hotels, clubs, restaurants and handpicked brands
- Invitations to a minimum of 4 member-only events each year
- Paywalled content — access to exclusive online features only for members
- 15% off selected brands online with Gentleman's Journal
- Your own Clubhouse membership card to redeem all the perks