Like any self-respecting journo I did my prep prior to the interview. There were several angles with which to explore the interesting brand Sir Plus, which is essentially to the fashion world what the NutriBullet is to ugly fruit. And there was, I’m told, a just-as-interesting character at the helm: Henry Hales, 28, who hasn’t had a Saturday off for six and a half years.
He started the company with a modest investment and began his journey on a market stall in Spitalfields, selling boxer shorts made from the offcuts strewn under various London cutting tables. It has since been an arduous slog up the slippery rungs of the fashion ladder. Especially given Henry’s lack of experience; he studied Real Estate Management at Oxford Brookes, not textiles or design.
So I had an inspirational entrepreneurship hook, with an eco-friendly twist to complement. What I got, however, was a hangover.
To unlock this article, please subscribe. Benefits include:
- 15% off selected brands online at the GJ shop
- 15% off selected brands in-store at 68/69 Burlington Arcade
- Discounts with luxury hotels, restaurants and handpicked brands
- Invites to private Clubhouse events
- 4 magazines & 4 premium newsprints delivered to your door
- Your own Clubhouse membership card