There was a time, not all that long ago, when social media didn’t exist – believe it or not. People actually read books, made phone calls, sent out hand-written invitations and kept photo albums. Oh how times have changed, for the younger generations anyway. Reports this year state that the number of social network users will rise to 1.73 billion, with the largest, Facebook, claiming to receive a whopping 1.49 billion monthly active users. Just take a minute to ruminate on that figure.
Whether we like it or not, social media has become a major part of our everyday lives, be it to communicate with friends, share pictures of our exotic forays, organise parties or, on a more serious note, grow a business. With the advent of social media, the ability to grow a startup by sharing, engaging and interacting has grown exponentially. Businesses now have a number of platforms – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, YouTube, Snapchat, etc. – to launch and flourish, platforms that business of old were not privy to.
Here’s how to successfully market your start up on social media…
- Have a social media strategy before you launch
- Choose the right social networks that suit your audience
- Designate budget wisely – the right ads in the right places can be of huge benefit
- Have a 24/7 presence
- Interact with your audience – let them know there is a person behind the screen, not a robot
- Stay true to your brand’s theme – do not be tempted to stray for the sake of cheap hits
- Follow like-minded people
- Recruit specific social media roles – it is a full-time job, and its importance to the brand’s growth can not be underestimated
- Regular reviews on performance
- Collaborations with other companies, ideally with bigger audiences than your own – competitions, etc.
- Create achievable goals
- Don’t be afraid to think out the box
- Use videos and images to create a strong aesthetic
- Listen to your audience