Darren Barrowcliff is a busy man. Having headed up Reiss menswear for five years, he has recently moved up the ranks at Hardy Amies, one of the most iconic gentleman’s tailors in the world. Hardy Amies was a legend. A man of unbelievable stature and elegance; one who created clothing that every gentleman would be, and was, honoured and humbled to be seen in. Today, that hasn’t changed. The legend lives through Barrowcliff and the impeccable team at Hardy Amies, particularly as they prepare to show at London Collections Men.
1.Who is the ultimate Hardy Amies gentleman?
“Sir Hardy Amies.”
Hardy Amies in 1970. Credit: HardyAmies.com
2. Who is the most stylish man in London, and why?
“Any man who perceives himself to be.”
3. What constitutes a stylish man?
4. What are three items every gentleman should own?
“White shirt, navy or black blazer, fresh sneakers.”
5. What are three accessories every gentleman needs?
“Shoes. A good quality wallet, I use Goyard, and a phone and case, the modern day essential.”
6. Why are well-made clothes so important?
“A well-made garment is the sign of a good job done with time and effort spent to achieve the highest quality. You want heart surgery by a good heart surgeon just as you need a suit made by a good tailor.”
7. What is the ultimate gentlemanly investment?
“Something for someone else.”
8. What is the first thing you notice about another gentleman’s outfit?
9.What excites you most about LCM?
“Seeing a vision and months of hard work finally coming together.”
10. Talk to us about the process behind designing the collections?
“Instead of sketching, I collect images and fabric for inspiration. It is a combined creative process with my team, and together we create a story under my direction that is supported through the season.”
11. What are the 3 intricate details that always need to be perfect before the presentation?
“All details need to be perfect, but the top three for show day would be hems, hair and necklines.”
12. Do you still get nervous before a collection shows?
13. What makes London the fashion capital of the world?
“I don’t think there is a fashion capital of the world.”
14. If you were to wear one outfit for the rest of your life, what would it be?
“Tailored trousers and a singlet.”
15. If there was to be one message translated across all Hardy Aimes clothes, what would it be?
16. Who, or what, is your inspiration?
“Inspiration can be found everywhere in my day to day. For SS17 part of my inspiration came from muses such as Ferguson Henderson and Julian Schnabel.”
17. If you could have dinner with three stylish gentlemen, dead or alive, who would they be?
“Jean-Michel Basquiatt, my grandfather and Christopher Walken.”
18. If you could have any gentleman’s wardrobe, whose would it be and why?
“My own. I don’t want anyone else’s things or style.”
19. Sum up your style in three words.
“Clean, cool, simple.”
20. Is there one particular detail you try and continue through every collection?
“Impeccably tailored suits feature every season.”
Visit Hardy Amies on 8 Savile Row, London W1S 3PE or here.
All photos: Hardy Amies.